Make your own pickling mix to use in pickling vegetables. This fragrant combination of dried herbs and spices adds wonderful flavor to any homemade pickle. You can make quick pickles using this recipe too.
Any homemade spice mix is a wonderful holiday present. Package it in a pretty jar with the ingredients, the date you made it, and how to use it.
Tie some of this mix in a square of cheesecloth and tie closed with kitchen string. You can add it to stewed fruits, use it in a pot roast recipe, or add it to a marinade for a crudite platter or just for some simple pickled vegetables. It is also delicious in any quick pickle recipe. Use it instead of the spices and herbs called for in that recipe.
This mix will keep at room temperature for about 6 months. Make sure that you label it before storing so you know what it contains!
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup dill seed
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine the mustard seeds, dill seed, coriander seeds, chili flakes, ground bay leaves, celery seeds, white peppercorns, and black peppercorns in a small bowl and mix well. You can grind this mixture, either with a mortar and pestle or by using a food processor or blender, if you'd like. The whole spices will keep longer, however.
- Store this mixture in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Place desired amount of spices in cheesecloth and use in recipes. When the recipe is done, discard the cheesecloth bundle.