|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Pico de Gallo is Spanish for "rooster's beak." This salsa is also referred to as salsa fresca. This fresh tomato salsa is a delicious, chunky salsa that goes with burritos, tacos, or grilled meat, fish, or chicken. Or simply serve the salsa as a dip with tortilla chips. It's also an excellent dip to serve with tortilla pinwheel appetizers, nachos, and zucchini or eggplant fries.
Use fresh plum tomatoes for the salsa or make it with cherry or grape tomatoes. If you like plenty of heat, add some finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper.
Make the salsa at least 30 minutes before serving for best flavor.
- 4 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (sweet or red onion; or scallions)
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeno peppers (minced; or Fresno)
- 2 tablespoons bell pepper (chopped; red or yellow)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
In a glass, stainless steel, or pottery bowl — any nonreactive container will work well — combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, chile peppers, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If you aren't a fan of cilantro, leave it out or replace it with fresh chopped parsley.
- To tone down the heat, use milder chilies, such as Anaheim.