Pico de Gallo is Spanish for "rooster's beak." This salsa is also referred to as salsa fresca. This fresh tomato salsa is a delicious, chunky salsa that goes with burritos, tacos, or grilled meat, fish, or chicken. Or simply serve the salsa as a dip with tortilla chips. It's also an excellent dip to serve with tortilla pinwheel appetizers, nachos, and zucchini or eggplant fries .
Use fresh plum tomatoes for the salsa or make it with cherry or grape tomatoes. If you like plenty of heat, add some finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper.
Make the salsa at least 30 minutes before serving for best flavor.
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (sweet or red onion, or green onions)
- 2 fresh chile peppers (mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a glass, stainless steel, or pottery bowl — any nonreactive container will work well — combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, chile peppers, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes about 2 cups of salsa.
Tips and Variations
When working with hot chile peppers, wear gloves and avoid rubbing your eyes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|