This is a classic Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce. Typically, served on smoked pork (at the table), this thin, vinegar based sauce has tons of flavor. You can also use this sauce with pulled chicken.
- 1 1/2 cup/360 mL cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup/120 mL ketchup
- 1/2 cup/120 mL water
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL red pepper flakes
1. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove sauce from heat and let cool completely (about 30 minutes) before using. I recommend making this a day ahead as this will give the flavors a chance to really combine.
3. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation. Warm slightly in microwave (about 30 seconds or so) before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|