This easy meat filling recipe for Polish pierogi dumplings and (Polish crepes) is made with leftover cooked beef, veal, lamb or poultry that is ground with onions to make a very fine paste.
If you don't have leftovers, start with fresh meat or poultry that you simmer in salted water until cooked. The cooking water can then be used in place of broth in the recipe.
- 1 pound meat (leftover cooked beef, veal, lamb or poultry)
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 large egg (beaten, room temperature)
- 1 cup broth (meat, or the water the meat was cooked in)
- Garnish: salt (to taste)
- Garnish: pepper (to taste)
- Grind meat and onion in a grinder or food processor to a fine paste. It must be finely ground so that the filling doesn't poke holes in the dough or crepes when assembling them.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add egg, broth or water meat was cooked in and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drop by tablespoonsful onto pierogi dough of choice or use about 1/4 cup for naleśniki.
- Follow the directions for the recipe you are using to finish the dish.
Note: If ground meat filling isn't your cup of tea, here are more savory filling recipes and sweet filling recipes.
Special-Diet Pierogi Dough and Crepe Batter Recipes
There are so many different pierogi dough recipes and crepe batter recipes that everyone can enjoy these dishes, even those who are vegan, dairy-free or gluten-intolerant.
- Vegan Pierogi Dough Recipe: There is no egg or dairy in this pierogi dough. It's made with four simple ingredients -- flour, water, salt and oil.
- Gluten-Free Pierogi Dough Recipe: This recipe doesn't require figuring out how to mix flours, xanthan gum, guar gum, etc. It is made with all-purpose gluten-free flour and it works like a charm.
- Vegan Crepes Recipe: For Orthodox Christians, fasting for Lent, Advent and other religious occasions means no consumption of meat and meat byproducts, eggs and dairy. This recipe is made with margarine, soy milk, water, flour, salt and oil.
- Dairy-Free Crepes Recipe: These are made with a combination of all-purpose flour and whole-wheat pastry flour, eggs and unsweetened soymilk.
- Gluten-Free Buckwheat Crepes Recipe: Nutty-tasting buckwheat flour in combination with all-purpose gluten-free flour mix replaces wheat flour in this recipe.
- Gluten-Free Crepes with Raspberry Sauce Recipe: These crepes are made with a gluten-free all-purpose mix and milk or your favorite dairy-free substitute. The best part is the raspberry sauce.
- Thai Coconut Pancakes Recipe: These crepe-like pancakes are popular street food in Thailand, often tinted in bright colors. Because they're made with rice flours and coconut milk, they are naturally gluten- and lactose-free.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|