Creamy pimento cheese, sweet and spicy candied bacon, and a rich and silky egg are grilled and nestled between two slices of crispy bread in this Southern grilled cheese recipe!
Want to see it live?
Watch me make this on my episode of Real Food Real Kitchens - season 2 on Hulu. My episode airs June 2nd so stay tuned!
- For the Pimento Cheese:
- 1 Tbsp. mayo (Duke's)
- 5 dashes hot sauce (Franks)
- 1/8 tsp. mustard (yellow)
- 1/4 Tbsp. red onion (grated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. pimentos (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. cheddar cheese (Hook's aged cheddar)
- 1 Tbsp. grand cru
- For the Candied Bacon:
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- For the Grilled Cheese:
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 1 egg
-FOR THE PIMENTO CHEESE-
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, franks hot sauce, yellow mustard, grated onion, salt, sugar, and garlic powder.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add in the cheddar and pimentos.
- Set aside, letting the flavors come together as your bacon candies.
-FOR THE CANDIED BACON-
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss bacon in light brown sugar and add a few dashes of cayenne pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on one side.
- Then flip and allow it to cook for another few minutes until bacon is crispy and dark brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
-FOR THE SANDWICH-
- Begin by building the sandwich. Smear half of the pimento cheese onto each slice of bread and add chopped candied bacon.
- Close the sandwich and smush it down.
- Using a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter, cut a circle out of the middle of the sandwich, cutting through both bread slices.
- Gently remove inner circle and set aside. Cut-out circle can be grilled along with sandwich.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Place sandwich and cut-out circle in skillet.
- Carefully crack egg into center cut hole.
- Sprinkle egg with pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Grill sandwich until one side is golden brown and egg has begun to cook.
- When egg white starts to become opaque, gently flip sandwich, adding remaining butter to pan.
- Once both sides are golden brown and egg is firm to touch or cooked to your desired doneness, remove sandwich from heat.
- Allow to rest two minutes.
- Serve immediately, cutting in half to release egg yolk.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|