Angel food cakes are naturally low in fat and light and fluffy (aka the "food of the angels"). This pineapple angel food dump cake is made special with the addition of pineapple. And at just two ingredients, is about as simple as it gets!
- 1 (14.5 oz) angel food cake mix
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple (crushed in juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix cake mix and pineapple together in a large bowl.
- Pour into lightly greased 13x9 pan. Don't be surprised when it gets foamy.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and springs back when touched in middle.
History of Angel Food Cake
Angel Food cake is thought to be a takeoff of the sponge cake, cornstarch cake, silver cake, and/or snow-drift cake. There are several theories on who originated this angel food cake, also called ice cream cake (a Pennsylvania Dutch wedding cake).
It is felt that the abundance of cake molds in southeastern Pennsylvania, one of the major producer of cake molds, indicates that the angel food cake originated there in the early 1800s.