This delicious Pineapple Chutney recipe is perfect to serve with just about any grilled meat. Chutney may seem like an exotic type of recipe, but they are very easy to make. You just cook together some fruit, spices, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice until the mixture thickens and boils. The resulting sweet, spicy, and savory sauce can be served with chicken, meat, or fish, or used as an appetizer spread, especially with soft cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, or cream cheese. Use it in curries, or crockpot recipes too.
You can make this recipe with other fruits. Try pears, or peaches, or apples. Just peel the fruit and cut it into even pieces. Then continue with the recipe.
You can make this chutney as mild or as spicy as you'd like. Add some crushed red pepper flakes, increase the amount of curry powder, or add minced jalapeños or habanero peppers.
This chutney, like all chutneys, freezes well too. Let the chutney cool, then ladle into freezer containers in 1/2 or 1-cup portions. Label, seal, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw, just let the chutney stand in the fridge overnight. You can reheat it before you serve it, but it's excellent cold.
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 and 1/2 cups pineapple (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the onion, honey, vinegar, pineapple, curry powder, ginger, salt, and red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Put the pan on the stovetop and cook over high heat until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the chutney, stirring occasionally so the food doesn't burn, until the pineapple is tender and the mixture is thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and cool the chutney completely. Then stir well and decant into another container with a tight lid. Refrigerate the chutney for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|