|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 85g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 77g|
|Vitamin C 64mg||318%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Smoothies can be a healthy meal replacement and are incredibly convenient for a quick breakfast that you can take along with you to work or school. You can easily boost the protein content with extra yogurt or a tablespoon or two of whey powder. This naturally sweetened pineapple smoothie can make a great dessert as well.
A smoothie blender or high-speed blender is recommended because their motors are powerful enough to blend ice cubes or frozen fruit. There are many inexpensive options on the market, including full-size and personal smoothie blenders. If you're looking for a blender that can handle various jobs, you might want to invest in a high-speed blender.
"This was delicious, and it takes only a few minutes to prepare and blend. Pineapple is naturally sweet, and the flavors were perfectly balanced. I don't think you'd miss the honey if you left it out. It was a hit with my family." —Diana Rattray
3 cups frozen pineapple chunks, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup yogurt vanilla
1 tablespoon honey
Gather the ingredients.
Place all of the ingredients into a smoothie blender. Process until smooth.
Garnish with pineapple chunks. Serve immediately.
- If you want to limit your sugar intake, make sure you use unsweetened coconut milk, unsweetened shredded coconut, and unsweetened frozen pineapple chunks for this recipe. Look for them at local health food or natural food supermarkets, such as Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's.
- Replace the vanilla yogurt with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add a sprig of fresh mint to each glass for an attractive presentation.
- Instead of honey, consider agave syrup or a sugar substitute.
- Instead of flaked coconut, use unsweetened coconut powder.
How to Store and Freeze
- If you have extra smoothie, put it in a covered container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
- Smoothies may be frozen as well. Put the mixture in an airtight container or a zip-close freezer bag and freeze it for up to 3 months.
What can I add to my smoothie to increase the protein?
There are many ways to increase a smoothie's protein content:
- 1 tablespoon almond butter=3.4 grams.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt=4 grams.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt=11 grams.
- 1/4 cup silken tofu=6 grams.
- 1 tablespoon whey powder=13 grams.
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds=3 grams
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds=2 grams (plus 2 grams of fiber).
When is the best time to drink a smoothie?
A smoothie for breakfast can give you a jump-start, and it's an good choice for before or after a workout. If you don't have time for a standard lunch, a smoothie is an excellent alternative. And if you're craving something sweet, choose a healthy naturally sweetened smoothie.