|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||17%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You don't have to spend a small fortune on fancy nut butter at the grocery store—it's easy to make your own at home with just two ingredients. This effortless recipe for pistachio butter can be prepared using the convenience of shelled pistachios or, if you are willing to put in a little extra effort, unshelled pistachios. Of course, it is much easier (and softer on your fingers) to make pistachio butter with pistachio nuts that have already been removed from their shells.
For added ease, use pistachios that have already been roasted. That way, all you have to do is puree the nuts until they form a luxurious and creamy pistachio butter. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and you have an upscale ingredient ready to use in your favorite recipes or as a delicious snack.
3 cups pistachios, shelled, roasted, and unsalted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil or canola oil
Gather the ingredients. If your pistachios are not shelled, shell them before beginning.
Place the shelled pistachios and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Close the lid and process.
In the first minute or so, the pistachios will begin to grind into a fine powder.
As the food processor continues to run, the powder will begin to thicken slightly. For a few minutes, the ground nuts will remain powdery, but don't be concerned. As the mixture continues to process, the fats in the pistachio nuts will release.
Eventually, the powdery consistency will transform into the thick "buttery" consistency we associate with nut butter. If you prefer a slightly thinner nut butter, you can drizzle in a very small amount of neutral-flavored oil like vegetable oil or canola oil into the food processor as it runs.
Once the pistachio butter has achieved the desired consistency, spoon into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
How to Use Pistachio Butter
Pistachio butter can be used in a variety of ways:
How to Store
Store pistachio butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month or freeze it for up to three months.
- We used roasted, shelled pistachios for this recipe for convenience.
- If you are using salted nuts, reduce or eliminate the salt in the recipe.
- Raw pistachios can also be used for making pistachio butter. Shell the pistachios, place in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast in a 325 F oven for about 10 minutes or until the nuts are fragrant and toasted.
- If you prefer a more vibrant shade of green to the final product, the dark paperlike pistachio skins can be removed after roasting. While still warm, rub the roasted pistachios vigorously in a cloth or towel. This will help separate the skins from the pistachio nuts.
- You can make this pistachio butter as smooth or as chunky as you like.
- For a bit of sweetness, add honey to taste.