Pistachio nougat has a robust pistachio flavor and a delicate green color to complement the chewy sweet nougat. Almond extract is used in this recipe, but if you are able to find pistachio flavoring, substitute that instead. Note that you will need a large stand mixer with a whisk attachment to make this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- green food coloring
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 cup pistachios (toasted)
1. Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by covering it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved and continue to cook until mixture reaches hard ball stage (250 degrees).
3. While mixture is cooking, place egg whites in large bowl of stand mixer and whisk until they hold stiff peaks.
4. When sugar syrup has reached 250 degrees, remove it from heat and slowly pour approximately one quarter of the mixture into the stiff egg whites, with the mixer running constantly. Continue to beat the egg whites until the mixture holds its shape.
5. Return the saucepan with the remaining sugar syrup to the stove and continue to cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches 300 degrees (hard-crack stage).
6. With the mixer running, pour the remaining sugar syrup slowly into the egg mixture and continue beating until mixture is thick and stiff.
7. Add the almond flavoring and a few drops of food coloring to tint the nougat a delicate green. Add the softened butter and beat until the candy is very thick and satiny. Add the nuts last and stir until combined.
8. Spoon the nougat into the prepared pan and press it smoothly and evenly. Allow to set at room temperature and cut into small, 1" squares to serve. Store in the refrigerator, wrapped individually in waxed paper or cling wrap.