|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 1/2 Pounds (24 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This buttery pistachio brittle is an easy preparation. Make it for gifts, or make it for a family treat.
Use a reliable candy thermometer to make this brittle. To test your candy thermometer's accuracy, put it in boiling water for 10 minutes. It should register 212 F (100 C). If it is off by a degree or two, adjust the recipe cooking temperature accordingly.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup (or Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 2 cups shelled pistachio nuts, unsalted, not roasted
Butter a rimmed baking sheet generously, or lay out a large silicone baking mat or sheet of lightly oiled parchment paper.
Combine the vanilla and baking soda in a small cup or bowl; set aside.
Combine the butter, water, sugar, and syrup in a deep medium saucepan.
Attach the candy thermometer so it is in the liquid but not touching the bottom or side of the pan.
Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture reaches 280 F.
Add the pistachios (the temperature will go down temporarily) and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 300 F / 138 C.
Immediately remove the pan from the heat and stir in the reserved baking soda and vanilla mixture. Pour the mixture out onto the buttered baking sheet or silicone baking mat.
Spread quickly, if necessary and let cool.
The brittle will set and harden in about 10 to 20 minutes.
Break the candy up into smaller pieces.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container, separated by pieces of parchment paper or wax paper.
The brittle should keep for up to 1 month.
- Have the pistachios at room temperature before adding them to the candy mixture.
- If the brittle hardens before you can spread it, transfer to a large oiled baking sheet and put it in a 350 F oven for about 5 minutes. Let it cool slightly then continue spreading.
- To roll the brittle, cover it with a lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper and roll the candy out with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt for a salted pistachio brittle.