- 5 pita pockets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon zaatar
- Optional: pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice pita open so that one side is smooth and the other side is rough. Place open pita rounds, with the rough side up, on a cookie sheet.
- Mix oil and zaatar in a small bowl. A pinch of salt can be added if desired.
- Brush the rough side of the pita rounds with the zaatar and oil mix.
- Toast the pita with zaatar for approximately 6-8 minutes or until just lightly browned.
ZAATAR: Zaatar is a spice mixture that is popular in Israel for seasoning meats and flat breads. Ready zaatar can be found today in many kosher or Middle Eastern stores. You can make your own zaatar with this recipe.
VARIATION: Cut each pita round into half-circles to form 10 wedges, or into quarters to form 20 triangles.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve the toasted pitas warm or at room temperature. Serve the bread with an Israeli or Greek salad.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|