|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 26g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||54%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Vitamin C 7mg||33%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This hearty spaghetti casserole may look a little more like cake than pie, but make no mistake, it's every bit inspired by the unique noodle dish. Spaghetti pie is simply cooked noodles mixed with tomato sauce, toppings, eggs, and loads of cheese, then baked in the oven for a nice golden-brown crust. It's like a frittata married a bowl of mom's spaghetti. Baking it in a springform pan makes it easy—and pretty!—to cut and serve, but you can do it in a pie dish as well.
This kid-friendly dinner is filled with pepperoni and cheese, but also sneaks in some chopped spinach that little ones won't even notice as they're digging in. It's incredibly easy to whip together and is bursting with cheesy, pizza deliciousness in every bite.
1 pound uncooked spaghetti
4 cups spaghetti sauce, plus extra for serving
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup thick sliced pepperoni, chopped
1 cup spinach, cooked and drained
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Ricotta cheese, optional
Chopped parsley, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and allow the pasta to cool for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Toss the cooked noodles with the pasta sauce until completely coated.
Whisk together the eggs, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, and pepper.
Toss the pasta with the egg mixture. Then, toss in the spinach, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese until they are evenly distributed into the pasta.
Grease a springform pan and wrap aluminum foil around the bottom and sides of the pan to prevent leakage. Pour the spaghetti mixture into the springform pan and smooth the top so it is even.
Place the springform pan onto a baking sheet. Place the spaghetti pie in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the edges are crisp and the casserole is bubbling.
Remove it from the oven and top with 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until the top is crisp.
Remove from the oven and top with more Parmesan cheese and parsley. Wait 10 minutes before removing the springform.
Remove the springform, cut into slices and serve with ricotta cheese and additional spaghetti sauce if you wish!
- You can make the spaghetti pie a day ahead of time. Do not bake it, wrap completely in plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours.
- You can do the same for the freezer. Simply freeze the unbaked, wrapped pie for up to one month. When you are ready to bake, remove it from the freezer the night before and defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Try mixing up the fillings. Add ricotta cheese to the filling for extra creaminess or substitute the pepperoni with cooked Italian sausage.
- You can try your hand at making your own spaghetti sauce instead of using jarred. Just try to pick one that is packed with flavor, especially garlic.
- Spaghetti Rigati (spaghetti with ridges) is a great alternative to regular spaghetti in this recipe. It holds the sauce super well.