This recipe is easy to make, but it does take a little bit of time. And it's so worth it! This delicious dish is true comfort food and it stretches a pound of ground beef to easily feed a crowd.
Serve with a green salad tossed with Italian dressing, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. Some toasted garlic bread would be the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 pound ground beef (or Italian sausage)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 bell peppers (red or green, chopped)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (8- ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (16- ounce) package spaghetti pasta (broken into 2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 1 (5-ounce) package pepperoni (sliced)
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, onion, garlic, and bell peppers in a heavy skillet over medium heat until the sausage is browned, stirring to break up the meat.
- Drain well and add pasta sauce, diced tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Stir well and let simmer while preparing the spaghetti.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, eggs, and Parmesan cheese in large bowl and beat until blended. Drain spaghetti and toss with egg mixture. Spread half of spaghetti/egg/milk mixture in a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Top with half of sauce and pork mixture. Repeat layers.
- At this point, if you want to freeze this casserole, cool in the refrigerator. When cold, wrap well, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in the refrigerator. Bake, covered, at 350 F for 40 to 50 minutes until thoroughly heated. Uncover, top with cheeses and pepperoni and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until cheese melts and edges of casserole bubble.
- To refrigerate overnight and bake the next day, cover the casserole and chill for 2 to 24 hours. When ready to eat, bake, covered, at 350 F for 40 to 50 minutes until hot. Then uncover, top with cheeses and pepperoni and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer until cheese melts.
- If baking without freezing or refrigerating, bake at 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Top with both cheeses, then pepperoni, return to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer to melt cheese. Let stand 5 minutes to set, then cut into squares to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|