This delicious poached chicken recipe is done in thirty minutes but has the flavors of a meal that took all day to prepare. In this recipe, traditional Thai red curry paste spices up chicken thighs that are poached in coconut milk with diced sweet potatoes and fresh cilantro. As you can see, this is not your average chicken dinner, but it could easily become a weeknight staple. With store-bought red curry paste, inexpensive chicken thighs, and fresh or frozen diced sweet potatoes, this chicken recipe couldn't be any easier or budget-friendly.
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (available on Asian foods aisle)*
- 6 chicken thighs, boned and halved
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk*
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add red curry paste. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until the paste is fragrant.
- Add chicken and sweet potatoes. Cook 2 minutes then add stock and coconut milk and reduce heat to low. Do not boil or the coconut milk will separate. The flavor will be the same, but the appearance and texture will be different.
- Allow to simmer for 12 minutes or until chicken and sweet potato are cooked.
- Sprinkle cilantro over chicken and serve hot.
Serve this poached coconut curry chicken with steamed greens or a salad. It's also great over a bed of hot cooked rice.
- It is a common misconception in the west that there is simply one type of curry, when, in fact, a curry is simply a complex combination of primarily Asian herbs and spices that can range from mild to hot and from wet to dry.
- Make sure you use coconut milk and not coconut water or coconut cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|