Serve these poached pears as-is or with a dollop of whipped cream. You can also try them spooned them over ice cream or sponge cake. They make a wonderful morning treat or an excellent dessert, with the pears' sweetness nicely balanced by the tart orange juice.
- 4 firm ripe pears
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Peel pears then cut into halves or quarters and cut out cores.
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar, orange juice and water over medium heat.
- Add the pears and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and continue simmering for 15 minutes, or until the pears are tender.
- Remove the pears and add the orange zest.
- Simmer the syrup for 5 minutes longer, then combine the pears and syrup and chill thoroughly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|