|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You will need just two ingredients to create a polar bear, and there are a few options for both the chocolate and mint liqueurs. Most often, it's a mix of white crème de cacao and peppermint schnapps. If you have another favorite in either flavor, pour it. There's also the option to add vodka for an extra kick.
Click Play to See This Minty Polar Bear Shot Come Together
"This is hard to resist for sure. It tastes like mint chocolate in the best way. It's definitely best as a shot. If you sip it, the sweetness can become a bit much. Get it super cold and savor the indulgence!" —Tom Macy
1/2 ounce white crème de cacao
1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps or crème de menthe
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the crème de cacao and peppermint schnapps or crème de menthe in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Serve and enjoy.
- To keep with the arctic theme, it is only right that your shot glasses are ice cold. Before mixing up a round of shots, rinse the glasses with cold water and place them in the coldest part of the freezer. They will be frosty in less than 10 minutes.
- Your choice of liqueurs will affect the shot's color and strength. White crème de cacao is clear—not creamy—and has a nice cocoa flavor. Dark crème de cacao is similar in color to a dark rum and tends to taste more like dark chocolate. Chocolate liqueurs like Godiva are creamy brown and have more of a milk chocolate taste.
- Peppermint schnapps can have a higher alcohol content than crème de menthe and that also intensifies the mint flavor. Brands like Rumple Minze top off at a whopping 100 proof, while others are a gentle 30 proof.
- White crème de menthe will create a clear shot. If you want a green drink, choose green crème de menthe. With either, the polar bear will likely be a little sweeter than one made with schnapps.
- Adding a clear vodka does nothing to change the flavor. You get a slightly more potent shot with that same mint-chocolate taste. When adding vodka, keep the three liquors in equal proportion: For a single shot, pour 1/3 ounce of each.
How Strong Is the Polar Bear?
The polar bear can be as strong or as gentle as you like. It all depends on the alcohol content of the liquors you pour. For instance, if you use two 30-proof liqueurs, the shot mixes up to 11 percent ABV (22 proof), so it's like drinking a glass of wine—only faster. Add vodka or pour 100-proof peppermint schnapps and it's about 17 percent ABV (34 proof). Combining 100-proof schnapps and 80-proof vodka jumps it up to 26 percent ABV (52 proof), which is almost the strength of a martini.