|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 106g||39%|
|Dietary Fiber 36g||130%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Polish roulade or zrazy (ZRRAH-zih) is a very common main course dating back to 14th-century nobility. There are a myriad of varieties with just as many different fillings, including mushrooms, sauerkraut, herbs, and bread crumbs with horseradish.
This zrazy recipe uses beef, pickles, ham, and green onions, and can be prepared on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. But no matter how it is cooked, zrazy always tastes better the next day, so plan ahead.
- 8 sandwich steaks (trimmed and pounded 1/8-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard (more or less, as needed)
- 2 dill pickles (cut into thin strips)
- 4 ounces ham (cut into thin strips)
- 2 green onions (white and light green parts, cut into thin strips)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Garnish: sour cream
- Garnish: chopped parsley
Spread a thin layer of mustard on each steak and divide the pickles, ham, and onion among the steaks. Fold in the sides and roll like stuffed cabbage. Secure with a toothpick, if necessary.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and brown beef rolls on all sides. Remove meat and reserve.
Return beef rolls to the pan and spoon over some of the sauce. Cover and cook on low 45 minutes to 1 hour, adding more liquid as necessary during cooking.
When the rolls are cooked, transfer to a serving dish and remove the toothpicks, if used, and ladle over the sauce. Dollop with sour cream and chopped parsley.