Polish piernik spice cake recipes can vary widely from town to town. Some are light, others dark. Some have dried fruits and nuts, some are cut into layers and iced with chocolate. This recipe is for a dark, moist "gingerbread."
- 1 cup dark honey
- 1 cup coffee (strong)
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, coffee, butter, and spices. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let cool to warm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 large or 3 medium loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar, and baking powder. Slowly add the warm liquid, beating constantly at low speed. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick has only a few crumbs clinging to it. Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This cake keeps exceptionally well and can be dusted with confectioners' sugar or glazed with chocolate at serving time.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|