- .6-ounce yeast (cake fresh; or 1 package active dry yeast)
- 5 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 pound shortening (vegetable)
- 1/2 pound/2 sticks butter (softened)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
- Garnish: filling of choice
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and yeast. Work in Crisco and butter. Add eggs and sour cream, mixing with your hands until well incorporated. Shape into a ball, wrap with plastic, and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or bake on ungreased pans.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar thickly on a flat surface. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickeness. Cut into 3-inch circles. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in center and either fold two ends to the center and pinch, or fold in half, crimping the edge, to form a half moon shape. Transfer kolachky to prepared pan and repeat until all the dough is finished.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool and dust with confectioners' sugar. Store tightly covered.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|