This Polish recipe for meatloaf stuffed with mushrooms - klops nadziewany grzybami - uses a ground meat mixture that can be made into a loaf shape, meatballs or patties. This is just another example of Eastern Europeans' love of hiding one food inside another food.
This can be served with thickened, defatted pan juices or mushroom sauce over mashed potatoes.
- For the Mushroom Stuffing:
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms (Polish or porcini)
- 1 1/2 cups water (boiling)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- For the Meatloaf:
- 1 slice white bread (stale)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- A few dashes salt and black pepper
- Place mushrooms in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over. Let steep for 2 hours. Transfer mushrooms and liquid (being careful not to disturb the sediment in the bottom of the soaking bowl) to a saucepan and cook until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Chop finely and reserve.
- In a skillet, cook fresh mushrooms and medium onion in butter, covered, about 15 minutes. Add the dried mushrooms, leaving the cover off, and continue to cook until any liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, soak bread in milk until soft. Add beef, pork, onion, egg, salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place a piece of waxed paper on the countertop. Pat meatloaf mixture into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Place cooled mushroom filling down the center of the rectangle and flip the other half over, sealing the edges completely.
- Lightly coat a baking pan with cooking spray. Carefully transfer the meatloaf to the pan (or use the waxed paper to assist you in getting it into the pan) and bake uncovered about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- If desired, defat the pan juices and add 2 tablespoons sour cream fork blended with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water and whisk until smooth. Cook until thickened. Alternatively, serve with mushroom sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|