Noodles and sauerkraut, or kluski z kwaśna kapusta (KLOOSS-kee zih KVAHSH-nah kah-POOSS-tah) in Polish, is a favorite side dish in many Polish families.
It's a popular and portable dish to take to family parties, celebrations, potlucks, and tailgates.
Sautéed onions, sauerkraut, and mushrooms (either imported Polish mushrooms or canned mushrooms) mingle with buttered kluski noodles for an unassuming yet delicious side dish.
Kluski z kwaśna kapusta reheats well and actually tastes better after flavoring overnight. It's also a good candidate for the freezer as it thaws well.
Cabbage or sauerkraut with noodles is a popular and easy dish common throughout Eastern Europe. In Poland, it's called kapusta z kluski or hałuski, in the Czech Republic, it's known as nudle s zelí, and Slovaks call it haluski.
- 1 pound kluski-style noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) container sauerkraut, drained (rinsed or unrinsed as desired)
- 1 (14-ounce) can mushrooms, stems and pieces, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onion in butter until translucent. Add kraut and cook over medium-low for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Add cooked noodles to the sauerkraut mixture in the Dutch oven. Add undrained mushrooms, mixing thoroughly. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake 45 minutes or until top just starts to brown. Serve hot.
More Noodles and Cabbage Recipes
- Polish Hałuski Recipe: The debate rages on as to whether this is called hałuski or łązanki. In either case, it is a comfort-food dish that is made with onion and cabbage slowly sautéed in lots of butter, mixed with al dente-cooked 1/2-inch-wide noodles.
- Hungarian Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage Over Noodles Recipe: Smoked pork butt mixed with cabbage, onion, potatoes and tomatoes are served over egg noodles for a filling meal.
- Hungarian Cabbage with Noodles Recipe: Known as kaposztás tészta in Hungarian, this comfort-dish is a simple recipe to make, consisting of cabbage, onion, butter, egg noodles, salt, and pepper.
- Skillet Cabbage and Noodles Recipe: Shredded cabbage, onions, and egg noodles are cooked in a skillet, and then buttered breadcrumbs are sprinkled over the top.
- Cabbage and Noodles for Two Recipe: The trick with this dish is to get the onions and cabbage browned but not overcooked -- you want the cabbage to stay a bit crunchy -- before mixing it with the cooked noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|