|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Polish potato salad, known as sałatka kartofli (sah-WAHT-kah karr-TAW-flee), or more properly, sałatka ziemniaczana (sah-WAHT-kah zhyem-nyeeah-CHAH-nah) is made with carrots, celery, onion, and dill pickles.
As in all Polish salads, the vegetables are cut into 1/4-inch cubes and even finer for the onion, celery, and pickles. The salad is bound with mayonnaise and sugar to taste or salad dressing, which already contains sugar, can be used instead.
- 1 1/4 pounds potatoes (red or white)
- 3/4 cup carrots (cold, cooked, cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 3/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons dill pickle (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or as necessary)
- 1 to 4 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
Cook the potatoes in their jackets, cool, peel, and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, carrots, celery, pickle, onion, salt, and pepper being careful not to break the potatoes apart.
In a separate small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar (up to 4 teaspoons) together and gently fold it into the potato mixture, making sure all the vegetables are coated.
Chill, covered, until serving time.