Kielbasa, sauerkraut, and sliced apples team up in this tasty slow cooker dish. It's a great meal for a cool day and preparation is a breeze.
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, bag or can
- 1 pound kielbasa or smoked sausage
- 3 cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 2/3 cup apple juice or apple cider
Rinse sauerkraut; drain and squeeze dry. Place half of the sauerkraut in a slow cooker.
Cut sausage into 2-inch lengths. Place in slow cooker. Continue to layer in the slow cooker, apples, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with caraway seeds, if using. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Add apple juice. Do not stir the mixture.
Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours, or until apples are tender. Stir before serving.