This sweet potato pierogi recipe is a dessert pierogi. The filling also is ideal for any type of filled dumpling or crepe (nalesniki, pierogi, and uszka). Sweet potatoes are available year-round now, but this would make a delightful dessert for fall and winter dinners and holidays. After boiling these, sauté them in butter until they have a blush of golden color. Then sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. Delicious!
- Sweet Potato Filling:
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed, cooked until tender and still hot)
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (dark, packed, or more to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Pierogi Dough:
- 1 recipe Georgia's Pierogi Dough
- Place ricotta cheese in the bottom of a large bowl. Rice the hot cooked sweet potatoes over the cheese. Add cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar and salt and mix thoroughly. Let cool completely before filling pierogi.
- Prepare Georgia's Pierogi Dough recipe while filling is cooking. Using a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop, follow these steps to roll, cut, fill and cook pierogi.
- After boiling pierogi, sauté in melted butter until golden on both sides. Plate and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired, for a truly unique dessert.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|