This recipe for Polish wilted lettuce salad or sałata z boczkiem (sah-WAH-tah zeh BAWCH-kyem) is made with a warm bacon vinaigrette.
Romaine or iceberg lettuce is the best to use because, with tender lettuces like Bibb or Boston, the greens will wilt too much.
If you add chopped hard-cooked eggs to this salad, it becomes the main course offering.
- 1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn coarsely into pieces
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place lettuce in a heatproof bowl.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until half cooked. Add onion and continue to fry bacon until crisp but not burned.
- Drain all but 4 tablespoons bacon grease from the skillet.
- Add water, vinegar, and sugar, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour hot vinaigrette over lettuce, add salt and pepper to taste and toss. Serve immediately.
- This hot bacon salad dressing lends a smoky, sweet-and-salty flavor to any greens or vegetables, especially green beans or a baby spinach, hard-cooked egg, red onion, and sliced mushroom salad.
- For variety, you can swap out the white vinegar with balsamic or red-wine vinegar, olive oil in place of the canola or vegetable oil, light-brown sugar instead of white sugar, and red onion instead of white or yellow onion. If you like a little heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
More Wilted Greens Recipes
- Wilted Escarole with Basil and Parmesan Recipe: The greens are wilted in a high-heat oven so the tips are crispy and the middle leaves are still tender and then tossed with fresh basil and shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Sweet-and-Sour Lettuce Salad Recipe: This kosher recipe is made without bacon. It's parve, meaning it's a neutral food that can be eaten with meat or dairy. The only ingredients are lettuce, boiling water, salt, sugar, and vinegar.
- Warm Caesar Salad Recipe: This is an interesting spin on an old classic. A hot dressing made with olive oil, anchovy paste, garlic, and Parmesan cheese and then poured over romaine lettuce and sliced mushrooms.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|