Pollo a la brasa is a version of marinated rotisserie chicken that is very popular in Peru, and increasingly available abroad as well. This uniquely seasoned chicken was popularized by two Swiss expatriates in Lima in the 1950's, at their restaurant La Granja Azul (which is still open today).
I love the flavor of pollo a la brasa but I sometimes prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts to whole roasted chickens (and I don't have a rotisserie grill). These chicken breasts are marinated with the same great seasoning, pan fried, then finished in the oven. The result is tender chicken with tons of Peruvian flavor.
- 4 to 6 chicken breast halves
- 3 limes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves (chopped fresh)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Optional: 1 packet Goya seasoning (Sazon Goya with coriander and annatto)
- 1 tablespoon aji panca chile pepper paste
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- Brine the chicken breasts: Place the chicken in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Add 2-3 tablespoons of salt and the juice of 2 limes to the water. Refrigerate until ready to cook (several hours or overnight).
- Prepare marinade: In a blender or food processor, mix together the garlic, mint, cumin, sugar, paprika, chile pepper, oregano, aji panca paste, sazon goya, vinegar, soy sauce, juice of the third lime, and vegetable oil. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain chicken breasts and place in a shallow dish. Cover chicken with marinade, turning to coat. Let chicken marinate for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat butter or olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken breasts, in batches if necessary, until browned on both sides.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or just until chicken is cooked through (cut into a piece and check after 5 minutes in oven - chicken should no longer be pink and juices should run clear).
- Remove from oven and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||62 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|