|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 71g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||41%|
|Total Sugars 57g|
|Vitamin C 49mg||247%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A pomegranate margarita is a fabulous cocktail that can be made a few different ways. This particular recipe uses fresh pomegranate seeds and adds a hint of passion fruit for extra dimension. It's a bright and fruity tequila cocktail that's sure to put a fresh spin on your margarita routine!
Pomegranates are seasonal fruit, and you'll typically find them in the winter months. The extra effort of digging out and muddling the pomegranate arils (seeds) is worth every minute. However, you can still make this drink any time of the year by using pomegranate-flavored ingredients, including a liqueur, the juice, or even grenadine.
10 fresh pomegranate arils
2 ounces tequila
1 ounce passion fruit juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Gather the ingredients.
Add the tequila, passion fruit juice, and simple syrup.
Fill the shaker with ice, then shake well.
Serve and enjoy.
- Blend up a pomegranate margarita if you like. When using fresh pomegranate, muddle the arils and strain off the juice (don't add whole seeds to the blender). Blend the ingredients with 1 cup of ice (about 5 or 6 average-sized ice cubes).
- Rather than muddle pomegranate arils, add 1 1/2 ounces of pomegranate liqueur (e.g., Pama) or juice to this recipe.
- Grenadine is also a good substitute, though you'll likely want to skip the simple syrup.
- Use another complementary flavor instead of passion fruit if you like. For fruits, good choices include grapefruit, mango, and pineapple; muddle chunks of fruit or use the juice. Citrus vodkas or orange liqueurs can replace the juice, or you could add a fun twist with a ginger liqueur.
- While blanco tequila makes a very nice pomegranate margarita, a reposado tequila is actually better in this recipe. The short time spent aging adds a nice oak flavor to the spirit that's wonderful against the two fruits.
- This shaken margarita can be served on the rocks if you prefer.
- When not using ice, chill your glass prior to pouring the drink. A quick last-minute chill is possible by placing a few ice cubes in the glass while you mix the drink. Discard them before straining.
- Dress up the drink by garnishing it with a few pomegranate arils, a piece of passion fruit, or a citrus twist. You can also add a sugar rim for a sweet touch; in the winter, a cinnamon-sugar rim adds a seasonal twist.