Pork sausage often complements turkey stuffing, and in this Gordon Ramsay recipe, the sausage is combined with apples, apricots and pistachios, which encases a spicy Merguez sausage, and is then rolled into a cylinder shape, cooked and sliced. You can assemble the dressing up to two days ahead, and cook it with the Lemon and Garlic Roast Turkey.
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- Salt and black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 apple
- 5 or 6 dried apricots (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup pistachios (finely chopped)
- 1 lemon (zested, grated)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (flat-leaf, coarsely chopped)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 to 18 fresh sage leaves
- 2 Merguez sausages (or Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo)
- Put the ground pork into a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together. Using a box grater, grate the apple into the mixing bowl, and combine with the pork. Add the chopped apricots and pistachios and mix together. Grate the lemon zest over the mixture, add the chopped parsley, and mix until well-combined.
- Lay a 17-inch piece of aluminum foil flat on a work surface and drizzle with olive oil. Use your fingers to spread the olive oil over the foil. Place 2 sage leaves end-to-end on the foil, slightly overlapping each end. Lay 2 more end-to-end sage leaves next to the first 2 sage leaves, and repeat until all sage leaves are used. Sprinkle the sage with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Divide the sausage mixture in half, and shape into a cylinder. Lay the cylinder in the center of the sage leaves, then gently flatten the pork, running your fingers down the middle to make a slight indentation. Lay 1 Merguez or Spanish chorizo in the indentation, then measure and cut the second Merguez to fit the remaining indentation. Use the remaining pork mixture to cover and encase the Merguez.
- Pick up the foil at the end closest to you, and roll up the pork, jelly-roll fashion. Keep the foil tight as you roll. Pull the foil back to make sure the sage leaves are now clinging to the pork, and re-position them if needed. Re-wrap the pork tightly, molding it into a log. Twist both ends of the foil, pushing the pork together so it's a compact sausage-shape. (You can now store this in the refrigerator up to two-days ahead.
- When you're ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 400°F for 40 minutes. Slice and serve with Lemon and Garlic Roast Turkey and Cider Turkey Gravy.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|