A tasty barbecue sauce flavors these pork sloppy joes, making them similar to a quick pulled pork. If you grind your own pork or mince it in a food processor, use pork loin with a little fat or lean pork shoulder.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark, packed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash ground allspice
- 6 to 8 buns (split and toasted)
- Use lean ground pork in this recipe or grind 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of pork loin or lean pork shoulder.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the ground pork and cook, stirring and breaking up, until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add the pork back to the skillet; add the ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, peppers, and allspice. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Serve over split toasted buns with coleslaw and fries.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|