This easy, cheesy pork chop and hash brown bake is topped with crunchy French fried onion rings. This satisfying pork chop and hash brown casserole is budget-friendly, too.
Add a tossed salad or steamed green vegetable for a satisfying family supper. Broccoli, peas, or green beans go well with the dish.
- 6 (3/4 to 1-inch thick) pork chops
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: seasoned salt or a Creole seasoning blend
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes (dried)
- 1 bag (24 ounces) frozen hash brown potatoes, Southern style, shredded, or O'Brien, thawed*
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) French fried onions
- Lightly grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet or saute pan; brown the pork chops on both sides. Sprinkle the chops with the seasoned salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the condensed soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt. Stir in thawed potatoes, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, and half of the can of the French fried onions. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange pork chops on the potatoes and then cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Top with remaining shredded cheese and French fried onions. Return to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the cheese has melted.
*How to Thaw Hash Browns
Overnight — Spread the frozen hash browns out on a paper towel-lined baking pan. Place it in the refrigerator. Take it out of the refrigerator the next day and pat the potatoes dry with paper towels.
Microwave — Spread the frozen hash browns out on a microwave-safe plate or platter. Microwave on 100% power for about 30 seconds per cup of potatoes. Pat dry when thawed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||30 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|