These easy skillet pork chops are nicely flavored with a lightly sweetened sauce made with apple cider, caramelized sweet onions, and balsamic vinegar.
The caramelized onions take about 25 to 30 minutes cooking time, but the recipe is really very easy to prepare and cook.
Use sweet onions or yellow onions in the sauce for this recipe.
- 2 medium sweet onions, halved, sliced thinly (or yellow onions)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth, as needed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 4 pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Add sliced onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and nicely browned.
From time to time, as the onions stick to the pan a bit, add small amounts of chicken broth.
When the onions are soft and light brown, add the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and apple juice.
Bring to a simmer.
Simmer for five minutes to reduce the mixture.
Sprinkle the pork chops with salt and pepper.
Heat two to three tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add pork chops and sear for about three to four minutes on each side or until browned.
Add the onion mixture to the pan.
Reduce heat to medium low, cover the pan, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Uncover and simmer for five minutes longer or until pork chops are tender and fully cooked.
You Might Also Like