This pork cutlet recipe is easy to make and is delicious served with a classic white gravy.
For this pork cutlet recipe, I like to use a crispy Japanese type of breadcrumbs called Panko. Here's a demo on the standard breading procedure.
The simple white gravy with this pork cutlet recipe is essentially a variation on the classic béchamel sauce.
- 4 pork cutlets
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon flour (for the gravy)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup safflower oil (or amount needed for frying, or another high-heat oil)
- With a meat mallet or some other heavy object, flatten the pork cutlets until they are about ¼-inch thick.
- In a shallow dish, combine the 1 cup flour, paprika, and salt.
- Have the seasoned flour, the egg, and the Panko ready in three separate shallow pans or dishes.
- For each pork cutlet, first dredge it in flour, then dip it in the egg, and finally, coat it in Panko. (See the standard breading procedure.) Chill for 15 minutes.
- Heat about ¼ inch of oil in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan. When a few crumbs of Panko sizzle when tossed into the oil, it's hot enough.
- Fry the pork cutlets for a minute or two, until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and repeat. If your pan is small, work in batches rather than overcrowd the pan.
- Remove the pork cutlets, drain excess oil on paper towels and keep warm while you make the white gravy.
- Drain all but about 1 Tbsp of oil from the pan. Stir in the flour until it forms a paste. Heat for a minute or two over low to medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, warm the milk up until it is hot, but don't let it boil.
- When the milk is hot, gradually whisk it into the flour mixture, and increase the heat to medium.
- Heat the gravy until it thickens, or about five minutes. Adjust the thickness of the gravy with additional milk if necessary. Season to taste with Kosher salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
- Sauce the pork cutlets with the white gravy and serve right away.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|