|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A jazzed-up barbecue sauce and a variety of seasonings and spices make this a flavorful and easy pork roast, cooked to perfection in the slow cooker. Serve the pork roast with potatoes or mac and cheese and your favorite side vegetables, or slice and serve in sandwiches with extra sauce.
A boneless pork shoulder can be used instead of the leaner pork loin roast. If you do use a pork shoulder, add at least 2 hours or more to the cooking time. It should be very tender.
- 1 large onion (sliced or coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (about 2 to 3 pounds; not tenderloin)
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
If the roast is wrapped in netting, remove it. Sprinkle the roast all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add to the onions and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes total.
Transfer the roast and onions to the slow cooker.
In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
Pour over the roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until the roast is tender and thoroughly cooked. The minimum safe temperature for pork (according to foodsafety.gov) is 145 F.
Carefully remove the pork loin roast to a pan or platter.
Skim excess fat from the sauce and pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil on the stovetop and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 4 minutes.
Put the pork loin roast and sauce back in the slow cooker and keep warm until serving time.
Slice and serve the pork roast with potatoes and a side vegetable or serve in sandwiches with coleslaw.
- Double the sauce for the recipe and serve it on the side in a sauce dish or gravy boat.
- This recipe is excellent with boneless country-style ribs as well.
- You can also pork shoulder instead of pork loin and, but you will need to add 2 to 3 hours to the cooking time. A pork shoulder would be excellent for sandwiches. It should be falling-apart-tender and easy to shred for sandwiches.
- Replace the barbecue sauce ingredients with about 2/3 cup to 1 cup of your family's favorite commercial sauce.
- Add a small amount of liquid smoke or mesquite seasoning to the sauce for a smoky flavor.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce mixture.