- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-1/2 lbs. pork shoulder (or pork butt) roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, diced (include 2 inches of green)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 8 to 10 large stalks pascal celery (with leaves) cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Juice of two lemons (strained)
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Season the pork chunks with salt and freshly ground black pepper and then saute until nicely browned on both sides.
- Remove the pork to a platter and keep warm. Add the leek and onion to the pot and saute until nicely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour to the pot and cook for about a minute until incorporated. Add the celery and the chicken stock and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 10 minutes. Add the pork (with juices) and the dill to the pot and simmer covered for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Prepare the Avgolemono Sauce
- Using a whisk, beat the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid little by little into the egg-lemon mixture to temper the eggs.
- Remove pot from heat and add egg-lemon mixture stirring gently. Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through. Take care not to allow the sauce to boil or the eggs will curdle.
- Re-season with salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||62 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)