|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless chuck roast (or any tougher beef cut such as brisket, 7-bone roast, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (crushed)
- Black pepper to taste (Freshly ground)
- 8 baby red new potatoes (scrubbed)
- 4 carrots (peeled, trimmed and cut into 4-inch lengths)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (baby portobello, brushed clean and trimmed)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled and cut into halves)
- 1/2 large onion (sweet variety, sliced very thin)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (see note below)
Heat oven to 325 F.
Rub beef chuck roast with Worcestershire sauce on both sides.
Combine onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, and dried oregano. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly on both sides of roast. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Place seasoned chuck roast in the center of a large foil-lined roasting pan. Arrange new potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic around roast. Separate sweet onion slices and arrange on top of beef and vegetables.
Mist top of vegetables with cooking oil spray. Sprinkle dry onion soup mix evenly on top of vegetables and meat.
In a separate small bowl, combine red wine, beef broth, and tomato paste until smooth. Pour mixture down the side of the pan, tilting to distribute evenly over the bottom. Cover pan with foil, crimping around the edges to seal tight.
Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender. Slice pot roast and serve with roasted vegetables and pan gravy.
Note: In addition to being sold in cans, tomato paste also is sold in tubes (like toothpaste) for those times when you just need a tablespoon or two. Refrigerate after opening, and it will last a couple of months.
If you need to open a can of tomato paste for this recipe, the excess can be easily frozen. Measure by the tablespoon into ice cube trays, freeze until solid, pop them out, then seal in a zip-top bag and store in the freezer.