- 2 pounds small white potatoes, scrubbed and peeled, if desired, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, red or green, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Jack blend cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Put potato chunks in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sausage, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and cook until thickened. Add about 1 cup of the cheese, along with the spice blend, salt, and pepper. Cook until cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the sauce with the potatoes and the sausage mixture. Stir gently to blend. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|