Quiche is a wonderful baked dish based on an egg custard with vegetables and/or meat. The crust is typically pastry but here we're substituting potatoes for a delicious twist. Potatoes and leeks are a classic combination. Mushrooms add a nice earthy flavor. Finally, Fontina or Swiss cheese is added to create a nice balance to dish with its saltiness and complex flavor.
Recipe courtesy of King Arthur Flour.
- For the Potato Crust:
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (peeled)
- For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek (2 1/2 cups sliced, washed and drained)
- 4 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup fontina (grated, or Swiss cheese)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan. Set up a strainer over a bowl.
- Grate the onions into the strainer, and drain for 10 minutes, pressing out the extra liquid.
- When the onions are drained, transfer them to a bowl and combine them with the salt, thyme, and flour.
- Grate the potatoes into the strainer. Press out any extra liquid, then combine with the onion mixture, mixing to combine.
- Pat the mixture into pie pan and up the sides. Bake for 25 minutes to let the steam escape.
- After 25 minutes, brush the potatoes with oil, then bake for 15 minutes more, until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn the oven temperature to 350°F.
- While the crust is baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook until the leeks are wilted, and the mushrooms give up their liquid and it cooks away (you don't want the vegetables to be juicy). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the vegetables to the baked crust, and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and Worcestershire together, and pour slowly over the vegetables. Return the quiche to the oven and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is set. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
More Delicious Potato Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|