- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (made from 3 large potatoes)
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff, but not dry
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients, in the order given.
- Place mixture on a lightly floured surface. Knead in additional flour if mixture is too sticky.
- Put a large pot of salted water on high heat to boil.
- Meanwhile, divide dough in half and roll into a long cylinder, the thickness of a pencil. Cut at 2-inch intervals.
- Drop dumplings into boiling salted water. Bring water back to a boil and, once dumplings rise to the surface, cook 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove dumplings to a serving bowl. Add melted butter and bread crumbs, if desired.
Note: A variation of this dish is to add caramelized onions and fried bacon or other smoked meats.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|