Bacon flavors this hearty potato soup, along with leeks and onions. Serve it crusty rolls or cornbread and a tossed salad for a delicious and satisfying meal.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large leeks (white part only, cleaned, thinly sliced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 2 cups half-and-half (or whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh chopped parsley (or thinly sliced green onion tops)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until almost crisp; remove to paper towels and crumble. Set aside. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the drippings off.
- Add leeks and diced onion along with butter and oil. Cook the mixture, stirring, until leeks are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and blend in. Stir in chicken broth and potatoes. Cook stirring, until thickened.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half-and-half or cream and heat through.
- Add the chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the crumbled bacon and fresh chopped parsley or thinly sliced green onion tops.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|