|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Hearty and filling, this potato soup gets flavor from onions and herbs. Bacon and chives are used as garnishes. Alternative suggested garnishes include chopped prawns or diced lobster.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups milk
- 5-1/2 cups homemade chicken stock or use canned
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, whole
- 1 cup light cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup choppedfresh chives
- 6 slices lean bacon, crisply fried and chopped
Heat a 6- to 8-quart stockpot, add the butter and onion, and cook gently. Do not let the onion brown. Add the peeled and sliced potatoes, milk, and chicken stock. Add 1/4 cup chives, celery seeds, and thyme. Cover and cook gently for about an hour.
Prepare a roux: Melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour. Let the flour and butter mixture (roux) bubble for 2 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Thicken the with the roux, whisking carefully to avoid lumps. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes and then puree the in a food blender.
Source: by Jeff Smith (William Morrow & Co)
Reprinted with permission.