Ditch those frozen veggie burgers in favor of this fresh and homemade recipe. If you've ever had latkes or potato pancakes, you know that potatoes absorb the flavors added to them quite well, giving you a savory taste with a satisfying texture that is both crunchy and soft. Feel free to spice this vegetarian potato and bean burger recipe up a bit by adding some garlic or seasoned salt. Or, for a sweeter twist that your vegetarian kids might like, try sweet potatoes instead of regular white potatoes.
- 1 can black beans (about 1 2/3 cups if you're using fresh cooked)
- 1 carrot (grated, you can use a food processor for this if you have one)
- 1/2 medium onion (diced small)
- 3 medium potatoes (grated, use a food processor for this if you have one)
- 4 scallions (green onions, chopped)
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned is fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or seasoned salt, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying)
Drain the beans, then mash them well with a fork or a potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil and mix until well combined. The mixture will be thick, and you may want to use your hands to help pull it all together.
Shape the mixture into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.
Serve on burger buns with your choice of toppings.
More Veggie Burger Recipes: