This is a delicious and easy dish to prepare and bake. Serve this potato and ham bake with a tossed salad and biscuits or hot rolls.
- 4 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic (halved)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups ham (cooked, diced)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded sharp, about 2 cups, divided)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and add about 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for about 10 minutes, or until just fork tender. Drain.
- In a large saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. Add onion and cook, stirring, just until onion is softened.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until well blended and bubbly. Add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the ham and 6 ounces of the cheese (about 1 1/2 cups). Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Stir in the parsley. Gently stir in the potatoes until well coated with the cheese mixture. Turn into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the reserved 2 ounces of shredded cheese.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||25 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|