This chicken and macaroni casserole is a great way to use leftover chicken or try it with leftover turkey.
Serve this dish with crusty bread or biscuits and sliced tomatoes.
"...very flavorful and pretty easy to make. Good for a quick after work dinner idea. The combination of the mushrooms and spinach was great and the sauce wasn't too heavy." Ken
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze excess water out)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp or mild
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup fresh fine bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly butter a 3-quart baking dish.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Add green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour until incorporated and bubbly. Continue cooking, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth to the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the cooked chicken and well-drained spinach. Add milk and cheese, and then taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in cooked and drained macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, toss bread crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is browned and the casserole is bubbly around the edges.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||59 g|
|Saturated Fat||30 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|