This chicken and macaroni casserole is a great way to use leftover chicken or try it with leftover turkey.
Serve this dish with crusty bread or biscuits and sliced tomatoes.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze excess water out)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp or mild
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup fresh fine bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly butter a 3-quart baking dish.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Add green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour until incorporated and bubbly. Continue cooking, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth to the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the cooked chicken and well-drained spinach. Add milk and cheese, and then taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in cooked and drained macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, toss breadcrumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is browned and the casserole is bubbly around the edges.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||59 g|
|Saturated Fat||30 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|