This dish is simple and really quick to make. Serve it with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) or plain boiled rice and a lentil dish.
- 500 gms medium to large-sized prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 250 gms baby okra (tops and tails chopped off)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 large onions
- 12-15 cloves of garlic (chopped very fine)
- 2 green chilies (slit lengthwise)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped fine)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop spluttering, add the onions and garlic and fry till light golden.
- Add the green chilies and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and turmeric powder and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the okra, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns, brown sugar, lime juice and salt to taste and mix well. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Turn off fire, sprinkle garam masala over the okra and prawns and cover immediately.
- Serve after 2 minutes with chapatis (Indian flatbread) or plain boiled rice and a lentil dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|