Thicken the sauce with a little flour or serve with the strained and defatted liquids.
The ribs were cooked in an electric pressure cooker similar to the Instant Pot. A non-electric pressure cooker could be used as well, just follow the manufacturer's instructions. The ribs may also be prepared and cooked on the stovetop in a covered Dutch oven.
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions (peeled, halved, sliced)
- 6 to 8 ounces mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 4 small to medium cloves garlic (crushed, chopped)
- 1 1/2 pounds small (2 to 3 inch) round red, round white, or new potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (such as cabernet or pinot)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons flour
Gather the ingredients.
Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper.
In the pressure cooker or in a separate skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat, sear the beef ribs in the olive oil on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and cook until the onions are lightly browned and softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Combine the onion mixture and ribs in the pressure cooker. Top with the potatoes and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Combine the beef stock and wine; pour over all.
Bring the pressure up to high and cook for 50 minutes. Unplug and let the pressure come down naturally before removing the cover, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Transfer the ribs and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
Put the liquids in a gravy separator and discard the fat. Serve with the short ribs and potatoes or thicken the sauce.
If a thicker sauce is desired, bring the liquids to a simmer in a saucepan or in the cooker.
Combine 2 tablespoons of flour with 3 to 4 tablespoons of cold water and mix until smooth. Add to the simmering broth. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Serve the sauce with the short ribs.
Follow the first 3 steps and arrange the ribs, onion mixture, and potatoes in a heavy Dutch oven.
Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the short ribs are very tender.
Continue with sauce, if desired.
- Waxy boiling potatoes hold up well in this dish. Use red-skinned potatoes, Yukon gold, new potatoes, or round whites.