This pressure cooker recipe for hearty beef and Guinness beer stew can be whipped up quickly in your pressure cooker.
Traditionally served on St. Patrick's Day, it's a warming feast that is delicious any time of year, especially served alongside mashed potatoes but, luckily, in a pressure cooker, it doesn't have to simmer all day.
Cooking Equipment Needed:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stout beer (such as Guinness)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces)
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In the pressure cooker, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, sear the stew meat on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch, until browned. Transfer the seared meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and then sauté the chopped onion for 4 to 5 minutes or until it is softened and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Return the stew meat to the pot. Add the beer, thyme, and bay leaf and stir to combine.
- Lock the lid onto the pressure cooker and bring it to high pressure over high heat. When high pressure is reached, cook for 20 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and quick-release the pressure by pressing the valve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and pearl onions and stir to combine. Replace the lid on the pressure cooker, bring to high pressure, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and quick-release the pressure again. Remove the lid.
- Find and remove the bay leaf and sprinkle flour over stew, stirring to combine. Simmer over medium-low heat until stew liquid thickens, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes or with crusty bread for dipping.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|