Pressure Cooker Sauerbraten is an easy and delicious recipe with a wonderful sweet and sour gravy that cooks in minutes instead of hours. This delicious quick pressure cooker recipe tastes just like authentic Sauerbraten, which traditionally takes days of marinating the chuck roast and hours to cook.
- 4-5 pounds chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef stock
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies
- Trim excess fat from roast and pat dry with paper towel. Rub with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place oil in pressure cooker and brown the roast on all sides using the brown function or using an old-fashioned cooker without the lid.
- In a small bowl, combine water, vinegar, wine, sugar, cloves, salt, and bay leaves.
- When roast is browned, place the chopped vegetables and gingersnaps around the meat and pour the vinegar mixture over all.
- Cover cooker, raise the pressure to high and cook for 50 minutes.
- Release pressure using natural pressure release (just let the pressure cooker cool down), about 30 minutes. When the pressure drops, remove the cover, remove the meat to a platter and cover with foil. Remove bay leaves.
- Pour sauce and cooked vegetables into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Serve with the sliced beef.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|