|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 to 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 34g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Asian chicken dish is coated in a flavorful marinade with five-spice powder, then stir-fried with fresh mushrooms, sliced red bell pepper, and cashews.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp. five-spice powder
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil (or peanut oil, for stir-frying)
- 2 thin slices ginger
- 1/2 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika (or to taste)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (fresh, sliced)
- 2 tbsp. rice wine (or sherry, water, or chicken broth, more as needed)
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 bell pepper (red, cut in half, seeds removed and cut into thin strips)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce (dark)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, five-spice powder, and cornstarch. Add the chicken, coating thoroughly in the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add one slice of ginger. Let brown for 2 or 3 minutes, then remove the ginger (this is to flavor the oil). Add the chicken and sear for a minute, then stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is nearly cooked. Remove and wipe the wok clean.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok or pan. When the oil is hot, add the remaining slice of ginger, brown and remove. Add the onion. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, until it begins to soften, stirring in the paprika while cooking.
- Push the onion to the sides and add the mushrooms in the middle, stirring in a small amount of rice wine, water or chicken broth as needed. Stir in the cashews. After a minute, stir in the red bell peppers. Stir-fry for another minute (total stir-fry time should be 2 – 3 minutes).
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Stir in the dark soy sauce and sugar. Cook for another minute to heat through, then remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve hot.