Pulled chicken tacos are an easy stress-free weeknight meal that doesn't sacrifice on flavor. Whether you have chicken breasts or chicken thighs in your fridge, this simple recipe can be made with white or dark meat. There are also instructions for preparing the chicken in an Instant Pot (or another electric pressure cooker) or a slow cooker.
No matter how you choose to cook the shredded chicken, you'll end up with a tender, flavorful filling for tacos with minimal effort. Top your tacos with your choice of salsa, avocado, cheese, or all of the above. Or make a toppings bar so everyone can choose their own!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 small onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Corn or flour tortillas (warmed, for serving)
Gather the ingredients.
Add the chicken in a single layer to a deep skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and broth. Season with salt and pepper.
Over medium heat, barely bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Partially cover. Skim any foam that forms off the top and flip the chicken over if needed. Cook the chicken breasts for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just cooked through. Do not overcook. Cook thighs at a low simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender and cooked through. Drain and reserve the broth, discarding the onion and garlic.
Shred the meat with two forks or let cool enough to shred with your hands. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved broth (save the rest for soup), chili powder, cumin, and paprika to the pan over medium heat. Stir and cook until the broth is simmering. Add the shredded chicken and stir well. Turn off the heat.
Add the lime juice, stir, and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed.
Serve on warm tortillas with your choice of toppings.
- To make in an Instant Pot, follow steps 1 and 2. For chicken breasts: cook at high pressure for 5 minutes and use a natural release. For chicken thighs: cook at high pressure for 10 minutes and use a natural release. Follow the remaining steps as written, using your pot's sauté function or the stovetop.
- To make in a slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2. For chicken breasts: cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. For chicken thighs: cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Shred the chicken and add it back to the slow cooker along with 1/2 cup broth and the spices. Cook an additional 30 minutes to an hour on high and serve.